With limited food access in many places due to the Coronavirus, John Jewett looks around the kitchen for some pantry staples to make the macros work. Waffles and pancakes, a crowd pleaser, can be easily made into a balanced meal. John’s favorite is Animal Whey Salted Caramel Peanut Butter pancakes, but your options are endless. Grab you favorite Animal Whey and let’s get started.
John’s Macros For Waffle/Pancake Mix
*makes ~2 waffles/pancakes
Prep time: ~5 minutes
Cook time: ~5 minutes
· 25g favorite Animal Whey Protein flavor
· 50g self rising flour
· 1 whole egg (can use 2 egg whites)
· 40ml unsweetened cashew milk
· 10g peanut butter or 8g butter
· olive oil cooking spray
· waffle griddle or frying pan
· mixing bowls
· food scale
· Preheat waffle griddle or pan on low heat.
· Whisk together milk, egg, and peanut butter.
· Mix in the Whey Protein into the milk/egg mixture until smooth.
· Pour the wet mixture over the flour in a separate bowl and gently stir until combined, but not smooth. It should still have some chunky batter.
· Scoop the batter onto your waffle griddle or pan. Cook each side until golden brown. Serve hot with syrup or fruit of your choice.
Additional Macro and Ingredient Tips:
1. If avoiding gluten, you can use a gluten free flour, add baking powder for leavening/fluff.
2. If needing more fat in your meal, add extra butter or add nuts as a topping. More fats will moisten the waffles.
3. If needing to reduce fat, substitute egg white in the recipe and leave out the peanut butter. Consider adding 20g yogurt for moisture.
4. If protein content is too high, reduce the amount of whey.
5. If you need higher protein content, add more whey or replace half the milk with 60g yogurt.
6. If needing less carbs, reduce the flour and reduce the milk at the same ratio.
7. To really bump the carbs higher, use more flour and increase milk at the same ratio. You can also add banana or blueberries into the mix.