Fried food rarely crosses the path of a bodybuilder. A delicious fried chicken sandwich is something they might only have in their dreams. However, this week I'll show you how to use an air fryer to make a low fat, crispy fried chicken sandwich that a bodybuilder doesn’t have to feel guilty about enjoying.
John’s Macros For Two Sandwiches
Prep time: ~10 minutes
Cook time: ~15 minutes
· 8oz chicken breast uncooked
· 2 hamburger buns
· 40g all-purpose flour
· 1 whole egg
· ½ tsp cayenne
· ¼ tsp salt
· ¼ black pepper
· pickle chips or slices
· 30g G Hughes BBQ sauce
· olive oil spray
· avocado (optional)
· cheese (optional)
· air fryer
· 2 bowls
· Ziploc bag
· meat tenderizer
1. Put one chicken breast in a Ziploc bag and tenderize to a ½” uniform thickness.
2. Cut chicken breast to the size of your hamburger buns.
3. In a mixing bowl, beat egg until smooth. In another bowl, add flour and spices.
4. Spray the inside of your air fryer with olive oil spray to prevent chicken from sticking.
5. Take your chicken breast and coat it with the beaten egg and then coat it with the flour mixture, then move it to the basket of your air fryer.
6. Cook at 400 degrees for 8 minutes, flip the chicken, and cook for another 7-8 minutes or until internal temperature of chicken reaches 165 degrees Fahrenheit.
7. Toast your hamburger bun and place the chicken inside with pickles.
8. Optional: mix mustard and G Hughes BBQ sauce for a tangy sauce for your sandwich or use sauce of choice.
Additional Macro and Ingredient Tips:
1. If avoiding gluten, you can use a gluten free bun.
2. If needing more fat in your meal add avocado and/or cheese.
3. If needing to reduce fat more, substitute egg white in the recipe and choose a low-fat bun.
4. If protein content is too high, reduce the amount of chicken (you can slice the chicken breast thinner).
5. If you need higher protein content, add more chicken or even turkey bacon slices.
6. If needing less carbs, use a smaller hamburger bun or even a sandwich thin bun. You could also use a low carb tortilla wrap.
7. To really bump up the carbs, use large size hamburger buns. You can also use a higher calorie BBQ sauce.